Wednesday, September 22, 2004

sky captain and the world of tomorrow

a disappointment... this movie was at first a feast for the eyes as the camera pans over the cg city of new york and the towering machines march into the streets, and then... as the camera leaves the city, the work begins to fail not only the eyes (the world looks flat) but the mind's eye... imagination fails to be unique... with the film paying homage to other films but also stealing from them... the recognizable, all too recognizable leap away from the explosion... has gotten really old for me...

jolie is odd as an english commander, judd law is a dull rock hudson, and paltrow is just pale...
only ribisi captured me fully... what a quirky "good boy" and "i can do it cap; just 30 seconds is all i need"...

see this movie, but do not expect a lot... oh, i did relish old photographs of a young sir lawrence olivier...

1 comment:

Carley said...

Toothdigger,

I went on your blogger and did a fair job of reading your remarks about SKY
CAPTAIN. The print is way too small for these old eyes and seems to be
breaking up so I had to guess at some words, others I could in no way
decipher. But, generally, I think I agree with your remarks, except, had
you been a boy of eight in 1939, as I was, I think you would find much more
in the movie which reverberates emotionally. It is tied so specifically to
that time which I really lived that I had to be largely
entranced--admittedly more at the beginning than later on.

I tried to blog back at you but all it did was give me a blank space in
which to write but would not accept any typing. So above is the response I
would have put in your blog, had I been able.

And, in contrast to a bit of what I could manage to read of your self
description I would have to say, "I am a Yellow Dog Democrat who only became
one after I understood how badly we had gone astray in the Viet Nam war.
And, I am ashamed to say, before that I was of a Republican tendency, even
voting for Nixon when he lost to Kennedy. Of course, those were the days in
which I was a good churchgoing, saved, Christian. Now, free of the
strictures of the organized church, I am just an out of uniform Christian,
i. e., in principle but not in dogma." (anonymous; sent to me via e-mail and added)