Monday, September 27, 2004

my conception & rewards of great literature

my father writes in his latest e-mail of my conception:

"I am reading James Joyce's ULYSSES, nearing the end after almost six months of plowing along. Well on page 736 I learn that Leopold Bloom married on 8 October 1888 and his first child was born on your birthday, 15 June but in 1889, not 19--. He confesses to having had pre-marital intercourse with his wife, Molly on 10 September, 1888, which leaves just about nine months before the birth date. Ergo, it would seem that you were probably conceivedon or about September 10, 19--, which was about 65 days after sweet Barbara and I tied the knot. Isn't this a marvelous coincidence? Ah, literature, how vast are its rewards."

Dad

(...no, i have not updated my profile to show both my year of birth or my true age...)

No comments: