Tuesday, December 7, 2004

excellence vs. mediocrity - the incredibles again

reading soxblog this evening, musing over his post regarding excellence vs. mediocrity after seeing the incredibles... as did i after seeing the same film twice now...

soxblog's posting is a stab at "political correctness" - seems the school where he taught a gifted and talented class insisted upon changing the name of the class to... now, what did the post say? well, the point is that the name of this class for exceptionally talented students was so silly and so innocuous that it was indeed meaningless...

God in His great wisdom has called us to excellence...
He does not want nor does He cherish mediocrity...

my daughter, who is a freshman at a quaker school in indiana known as earlham college is just now completing a seminar called "who am i? what do i want to do?" in which she has written a wonderful essay summing up how she has changed this first semester...

in this essay, however, she questions whether studying as hard as she is able is worth the time and effort... she writes:

I think that I want to become more studious while I’m here. There are times when I feel that if I’d just put in a few more hours of studying a few days before, say, a test, then my grades would greatly increase. However, those thoughts are always canceled out when I realize that my grades are good as they are and there’s no point in pushing myself harder. Maybe there’s not, but then again, maybe there’s something I’ll be missing by not studying my hardest.

now, some of this saddens me of course as her mother and mentor and friend, but her question at the end is heartening... she will discover that this final question to herself is the key...

to excellence, and not mediocrity...

No comments: