Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Gillian Gibbons Back in Britain: Cautious

Gibbons was cautious about answering questions.

When asked her feelings about the offense she was accused of, she said: “I don’t think I really know enough about it to comment really. It’s a very difficult area and a very delicate area.”

She added, “I was very upset to think that I might have caused offense to people.”

Asked if she was terrified of prison, Gibbons said, “That’s an understatement.”

“I was in two different prisons,” she added. I never actually went to the main women’s prison, thankfully. The first one I was at was just like a downtown prison — like a lockup. I was treated the same as any other Sudanese prisoner in that you were given the bare minimum.

“Then I was moved to another prison and there the Ministry of the Interior sent me a bed, which is possibly the best present I’ve ever had.”

The trauma has not deterred Gibbons from teaching.


Of course, I don't know Ms. Gibbons, but she sounds like she is still 'terrified.' Seems to me that recovering from such inhumane and idiotic treatment will take some time.

No comments: