Saturday, March 22, 2008

A Movie For All Times: 'Stranger Than Fiction'

Up until I saw (multiple times) 'STRANGER THAN FICTION' with Will Ferrell, Emma Thompson, and Dustin Hoffman I would have emphatically stated that 'THE FOUR SEASONS' with Alan Alda and Carol Burnett (among others) and 'ORDINARY PEOPLE' with Donald Sutherland, Mary Tyler Moore, and Timothy Hutton were my favorite movies.

Of course, for me at least, 'Ordinary People' is about accepting one's strength to survive and living with one's disappointment in others. 'The Four Seasons' is about maintaining a group integrity through tolerance of others' and of one's own weaknesses.

Now, I have to say that one of my favorite movies ever is this quirky film 'Stranger than Fiction' in which the little, seemingly insignificant events and even objects in our lives take on enormous import in saving us.

I love these three movies, teaching me to accept my strength, tolerate my weaknesses and tolerate the weaknesses of others. The last continues to teach me that 'all things work together for good to those who love the Lord and are called according to his purpose.' Funny, I doubt the screenwriter had this in mind. But, who knows?


No comments: