Sunday, October 7, 2007

Coming to a Stand-Still

The greater Charleston area is coming to a complete standstill. A few weeks ago, a van on the Don Holt bridge blew a tire and I gather went over the edge (and into the water? killing all or some of its occupants?)

At any rate, as I was leaving downtown to get out to my suburb beyond I-526, I noticed that the traffic on East Bay Street was abnormally heavy.

I turned off that street to try another route. For awhile, it was fairly clear. But, as I headed north I realized that I had never seen this amount of traffic in the area at one time (with the exception of a hurricane evacuation, that is.)

Needless to say, it reminded me again that this area has too many cars on too few roads. If we do not opt for a decent rapid mass transit system soon, this entire area is going to come to a complete stand-still.

No comments: