Sunday, January 2, 2005

in their living room

last night, my parents, my two grown children, and i decided to see the life aquatic at a local theatre...

we paid for our tickets, and chose seats high in the stadium-seating style movie house...

we watch the previews, and after a long 20 minutes, saw the beginning of our film...

soon, it became apparent that the child behind us (he appeared to be about 8!) was going to comment or question every event presented that he did not understand or that he found to be "so cooo-ooool."

i resisted for a long time; but, finally turned and put my fingers to my lips "shhh, please."

his mother or grandmother did not even glance in my direction...

the child proceeded to talk in much the way i speak in my own living room while i am watching a t.v. program that intrigues me briefly but does not completely have me under its spell... not only that, but the grandmother or mother answered him, never once suggesting to him that he be a little quieter or perhaps whisper or maybe ask her later...

eventually, we moved...

No comments: